Summer holidays are rapidly approaching. Some parts of North America are already enjoying their summer holidays. As I write this there are probably thousands of kids saying: “I’m Bored” and thousands of moms thinking what to do with their kids for little or no money.
Having two school children of my own and two school-age nephews I will be facing same summer holiday boredom blues in a few weeks myself.
Summer holidays are about fun and being carefree. Summer is about having fun while still learning a thing or two.
……..Summer Break is 9 weeks long…..long…..long………..
Many of us have planned a week or two of family summer vacation, but what about the remaining 7 or 8 weeks of summer?
There are families who can’t afford a family vacation in this economy never mind 9 weeks of keeping children entertained with activities that cost money like amusement parks, weekends getaways, shopping trips, excursions.
Fortunately, with a little bit of planning and a few resources, we all can help our kids to beat the summer boredom blues and ensure that they have the most wonderful summer holidays yet. This year you can have summer on the budget.
There are many activities that are free to entertain children throughout the summer. There are also activities that cost a little bit but guarantee tons of fun and lots of great memories.
I made a list of few free activities and ideas to keep kids busy and moms sane this summer:
- Free Art Classes – check with your local museum or art gallery. Many places offer free art classes once or twice a week for a couple of hours.
- Free Story Time at Library – most local libraries offer summer reading programs and story and activities time.
- Free Church Day Camps – check with your local churches if they are planning to offer free day camp. Some churches offer sports day camp, drama day camp or fun day camp. They usually are only 1 week during the summer Monday to Friday for a few hours.
- Free Waterpark (splash park) and Picnic – pack up a picnic basket and head to your nearest free waterpark for the day.
- Beach Day – nothing gets kids more tired and happy then a busy day at the beach. Bring some card games, have a sand castle building contest. Don’t forget the sunscreen.
- Free Museum, Zoo or Pool Day – check your local newspaper for free activities happening in your area. Many places have a free admission day a few times during the summer.
- Theme Days at Home – plan different theme days in case of rainy days. Have kids to plan their costumes, ask them to decorate the house or yard. Let them plan the activities and menu. You can have Reverse Days, Breakfast All Day Days, Cowboy and Country Days, Board Game Extravaganza…..
- Free Festivals – summer is time for lots of festivals that offer free entertainment and activities for the whole family. Take advantage of that just stay away from the overpriced concession stands (few treats won’t break your budget).
- Exploring Your Neighborhood – take a hike, bring a camera and have kids start a scrapbook of adventures.
Many summer activities require a little bit of money, but they give you lots of fun and bonding with your children:
- Theme Pool Days – our local pool hosts special theme pool days every Friday throughout the summer. Kids get to dress up. Enjoy special (cheap) snacks and activities provided by the pool staff. All it cost is an admission to the pool.
- Movie Matinee – check with your local movie theater. Many movie theaters have matinees throughout the summer for half of the cost of regular admission.
- 2 for 1 coupon – many businesses, parks, amusement centers offer 2 for 1 coupon during the summer. The economy might be bad, but the deals are great. So take advantage of it.
- Day on a Farm – spend the day picking fruit or berries, hiking and having a picnic on one of your local farms. It will cost you only the price of the fresh fruit and vegetables that you take home with you.
- Camping – doesn’t have to cost a lot. Staying at forestry or free campsites is so much fun. Roughing it is part of the adventure. Nobody ever talks about the “perfect” camping trip.
All you need to do is to plan your days and this summer holiday will be the best ever. No more summer boredom blues. Your kids would be too tired to complain.
The best part will be having summer fun without hurting your budget. This is the year to have summer on the budget. Can you do it?